10 August 2009

Monday 10 August 2009

I started my pro bono week today and I am assigned with the Orleans Parish Public Defender which is AWESOME! I have to admit that I was little nervous this morning when we walked in and the court officer walked over to us saying, “If something happens you are responsible for yourself… and Don’t lose your pens!” That was quite the wake up call especially with the 15 pairs of alleged criminal eyes staring us down from their very pretty orange jumpsuits. Welcome to criminal law was the first thought that came to mind. Our job is to interview people before their bond hearing to determine if they qualify for a public defender or not. So basically, we walk into the “tank” and ask a few questions about their income and living situations (talk about getting up close and personal with these people). Orleans Parish includes a pretty large area with a diverse set of people so the charges range from murder to simple drug possession charges. I can’t talk about any more information because I signed a confidentiality agreement, but I have to say that it is pretty awesome.

I could literally sit in that court room all day… it’s better than tv. The judge can be pretty harse though which was a little intimidating. It seemed like the attorney’s were pretty new though and the judge was explaining as she went along. I know that I have definitely picked the right life path though because I am totally pumped from just one day in court… I know that eventually it will lose it’s excitement, but I can see a long future for myself in criminal law.

Other than work, my social life is shaping up quite nicely. I’ve met a lot of really cool people who are into school but also like to have some fun. The other night I went to a beer pong party and didn’t lose a game. That really pissed off the boys!! I was soooo proud of myself. The next night was orientation for the pro bono week and when I walked in the boys cheered lol! I know Mom, you’re soo proud too!!! Anyway, I’m actually running to a friend’s house for a little get together so I’ll try to update as soon as possible. Thanks to everyone who is asking about me… I can assure you that I LOVE LOVE LOVE it here and that I will not be coming home until December 22. Enjoy the end of your summer everyone!!

J

1 comment: